Bills have several Keon Coleman questions to answer this offseason
Keon's future with the franchise is anything but clear.
Las Vegas Raiders make decision on Geno Smith’s future
The NFL‘s new league year is approaching, and with that comes a multitude of decisions by NFL teams. Some decisions are easy, some are difficult.
The Las Vegas Raiders have had to make a decision on quarterback Geno Smith. It appears they have made one ahead of the new league year set to begin in a few weeks.
MORE: Three teams that are looking at free agent quarterback Malik Willis
According to reports, the Raiders will release Smith if they cannot trade him before March 11th. While it isn’t a major shock, it is curious.
One might think the Raiders could have kept him to provide a veteran presence around the imminent first-round pick, Fernando Mendoza. However, this might be the best decision for a couple of reasons.
First, the most obvious one is contract-related money. Smith’s contract is set to be guaranteed three days after the new league year begins. That’s an extra $8M that can be put towards other acquisitions.
MORE: Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs make huge decision on contract
The last one is simple: a fresh start for both parties. The Raiders hired former Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, who pushed for and was granted the trade for Smith from Seattle.
The duo didn’t pan out, and Carroll was let go after the season. It makes sense that Smith will also depart, as he certainly will have other opportunities to at least compete for a job.
What was once praised as a phenomenal trade acquisition concludes after only one season. Smith’s dead-cap hit will be $18.5M–a very manageable one for a quarterback contract.
— Enjoy free coverage of the top news & trending stories on The Big Lead —
OLYMPICS: USA figure skater Isabeau Levito gushes over Olympic Village
NFL: Tyreek Hill makes hilarious first move after Dolphins release
CBB: 2026 college basketball rankings, updated AP Top 25 after Week 15
MLB: Tigers infielder from Taiwan apologizes to Koreans after trash talk goes viral
SPORTS MEDIA: College Hall of Famer, father of Chicago Bulls coach, diesVIRAL: Chloe Kim ‘obsessed’ with $100k gift from NFL star Myles Garrett after Olympics
The post Las Vegas Raiders make decision on Geno Smith’s future appeared first on The Big Lead.
Who are Alysa Liu’s coaches? Meet Bay Area-based duo that helped American figure skater win gold medal
Here is more on Alysa Liu's coaches, a California-based duo that helped lead the figure skater to a historic gold medal.
Bills have several Keon Coleman questions to answer this offseason - Yahoo Sports Canada
Adam Silver told GMs there will be anti-tanking rules for 2026-27 per ESPN
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told the league's 30 general managers in a meeting Thursday that the league plans to make rule changes to curb "tanking" -- the catch-all term for moves that prioritize draft positioning over winning -- ESPN's Shams Charania reported Thursday.
The Pacers were fined $100,000 last week for a violation of the Player Participation Policy in a move that Silver later said was meant to be a sign that the league would be cracking down on behavior it considered tanking. The Pacers -- who are 15-40 and enter Thursday's game against the Wizards in a virtual tie with Washington for last place in the Eastern Conference -- were fined for holding out All-Star forward Pascal Siakam and two other starters in their Feb. 3 home loss to the Utah Jazz. The Jazz were also fined $500,000 for holding out stars Lauri Markkanen and Jaren Jackson Jr. in the fourth quarters of games that were in doubt.
Charania reported that at Thursday's meeting and a late January meeting of the NBA Competition Committee, several anti-tanking concepts were discussed. Among those concepts, Charania reported, were the following.
>> First round picks moved in trades would only be allowed to be "protected" in the top four or beyond pick No. 14.
>> The lottery odds could freeze at the trade deadline or some later date.
>> Teams could not be allowed to pick in the top four in consecutive years and/or consecutive bottom-three finishes.
>> Teams could not be allowed to pick in the top four the year after making the conference finals.
>> Lottery odds could be allocated on two-year records rather than one-year records.
>> The Lottery could be extended to include all play-in teams, including those who reach the best-of-seven playoffs.
>> All lottery teams could have flat lottery odds as opposed to giving better odds for the worst teams.
This year's draft would not be impacted, but several of those suggestions seem connected to the Pacers' situation. The Pacers reached the Eastern Conference Finals in 2024 and 2025 and reached the NBA Finals in 2025 for the first time in 25 years. However, All-Star point guard Tyrese Haliburton tore his right Achilles tendon in Game 7 of the Finals and set the stage for an injury-ravaged season that put the Pacers near the bottom of the standings all season.
The Pacers made a trade just before the deadline that brought center Ivica Zubac in from the Clippers and sent Los Angeles two players and three draft picks. That includes a conditional pick for 2026. The Pacers get to keep the pick if is one of the top four or if it goes up to No. 10 or higher, and in that case the Clippers instead get the Pacers' 2031 first-round pick. However, the Clippers get the pick if it is in the 5-9 range.
That has increased the motivation for the Pacers to increase their draft lottery odds. The only moves that have stood out as ones that could be considered tanking have been the Pacers' decisions to rest Siakam and multiple other starters in four games before the All-Star break, all of which were in the second night of back-to-backs.
Dustin Dopirak covers the Pacers all season. Get more coverage on IndyStarTV and with the Pacers Insider newsletter.
This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: NBA tanking: Adam Silver told GMs 2026-27 will have anti-tanking rules