sports

Alvaro Arbeloa talks Mbappe, Valverde, penalty incident after Osasuna 2-1 Real Madrid: ‘A long way to go’

Alvaro Arbeloa talks Mbappe, Valverde, penalty incident after Osasuna 2-1 Real Madrid: ‘A long way to go’

Real Madrid were handed the lead in La Liga by Barcelona only in the previous match-day when the Catalans lost by a 2-1 margin to Girona.

Instead of making an effort to hold on to that precious lead, however, Los Blancos dropped three points of their own last night when they took on Osasuna away from home.

The hosts took the lead in the first-half and were the better team for most of the game, but Vinicius Jr. managed to steal one back and level the scores in the 73rd minute.

Eventually, however, Osasuna scored a 90th-minute winner to take all three points and inflict a blow on Alvaro Arbeloa’s team’s position in the standings.

Arbeloa’s press conference

Speaking to the media after his team’s defeat to Osasuna last night, Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa was carefully critical of his team’s performance but also delved into other aspects of the performance.

He began, however, by speaking on the penalty incident and what he made of it.

“From what little I have seen, I think there might have even been a foul earlier in that action.”

“There were two very tight offside calls, and we were unlucky that both went against us. I don’t think it was a good match on our part. Osasuna played their game, and the two times they shot on goal, they scored two goals,” he added, handing Osasuna credit.

Asking more of his team after the defeat, Arbeloa said,

“We need to play much better, with more intensity. We know it’s not easy to do so twice a week, but that’s what is needed. This is Real Madrid.”

“We know that all away matches are very challenging. I was very aware of how difficult it would be to come to this stadium,” he added on losing away from home once more.

Real Madrid have a massive game midweek. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

The manager was then asked if his team was affected by the defeat and how the dressing room would take the result, to which he said,

“Nobody likes to lose but we are not affected by any means. Even if it seems like an exaggeration, I still think there is a long way to go.”

Identifying a clear lacuna in his team’s attacking structure, he emphasised that far too much goes through Vinicius Jr. on the left flank.

“Right now, we focus much of our play on the left flank, and we need to be able to do so on the other side; otherwise, we are easy to defend. We need to work a lot because we have another very important match on Wednesday.”

The coach was then asked if his side were simply too slow and lethargic against Osasuna, to which he defended his side saying,

“I haven’t said we’ve been very slow. In the first half, we lacked moving the ball faster and creating more danger.”

“There are many games left, and we have a lot of room for improvement. When you’re not at 100%, anyone can beat you. We are aware of that,” he added.

While Real Madrid have recorded some good results in recent weeks, their consistency has still been a major question as they often struggle to keep the momentum going. On their inability to hold a winning streak, Arbeloa said,

“It’s true that we haven’t yet managed to string together four or five matches. We were coming off three very important victories against strong opponents, doing things very well.”

“But this isn’t about three matches, it’s about performing day by day. With the demands we face and the competitiveness of the League, just stopping at the fourth match isn’t enough. That’s what we work for,” he added.

Mbappe was not at his 100% last night. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

Arbeloa then spoke on Kylian Mbappe’s relatively poor performance on the night and spoke on his fitness.

“He rested last weekend. He didn’t play against Real Sociedad. When we think he’s not fit to play, we won’t take risks.”

“It’s not something I decide alone; I discuss it with the doctors, with him, and when he feels ready to play, we proceed,” he added.

He also spoke on his decision to take Federico Valverde off in the 75th minute and why he took that call.

“Valverde has been making a lot of effort in many consecutive matches and with minor discomfort. He has felt what he has been experiencing in recent weeks.”

“Rightly or wrongly, I preferred not to take risks with Valverde. After the goal, it was a decision made more with the thought of not risking and possibly injuring him,” he added.

Source: Real Madrid website

Read full story at Yahoo Sport →